If you’re like me, you LOVE roasted root veggies! They’re so yummy and hearty! Not to mention, wow, are they ever good for you! Check out some of the awesome health benefits of root vegetables!
- Good source of fiber, complex carbs, and nutrients with little sugars
- Low glycemic foods that are absorbed slowly
- Helps lower inflammation
- Good source of antioxidants
- Helps build and defend skin cells
- Contain strong anti-cancer properties
- Helps lower cholesterol
- Improves heart health
- Helps fight cognitive disorders
I’d say that’s a lot of nutrition! Of course, we want our food to taste good too, but no worries, because this roasted root vegetable medley with kale that I put together tastes amazing and makes for a perfect lunch, dinner, or side dish! Let’s take a look at this recipe!
ROASTED ROOT VEGETABLES MEDLEY WITH KALE
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3-4 carrots, peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 large turnip, peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 bunch of arugula, chopped
- 4 Tbsp. Olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
1.) Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line 1-2 baking sheets with parchment paper (I needed to use two to fit all the roasted veggies). Place the prepared rutabaga, sweet potato, carrots, and turnip on the baking sheet. Drizzle with 3 Tbsp. of the olive oil, and sprinkle with the garlic granules and a bit of sea salt. Place baking sheets in the oven and roast for 35-40 minutes.
2.) In a large pot, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for about 5 – 7 minutes until tender. Add the kale, oregano, and broth. Cook until the kale is completely wilted.
3.) Add the roasted veggies to the pot and stir to combine everything together.
4.) Transfer to bowls to serve.
Look at that stuff! SO yummy and good for you! Enjoy!