Get ready for the easiest dinner recipe ever! Don’t worry, it’s super tasty and good for you too! There’s just a few easy steps when it comes to making this dish, and the slow cooker does the rest for you. It’s awesome!
It’s also just got two main ingredients, which makes it really easy on digestion. One of those ingredients is rutabaga, one of my absolute favorite veggies – with good reason!
Health Benefits of Rutabaga
- Boosts the immune system
- Antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral
- Reduces the risk of colorectal cancer
- Improves bone health and osteoporosis
- Promotes enzymatic functions in the body
- Prevents constipation and gastrointestinal distress
- Lowers risk of cardiovascular disease
- May aid in preventing growth of cancer cells in the body
Every time I go grocery shopping and get rutabagas, the person checking me out always has to ask what type of vegetable it is and how I use it. Personally, I think the rutabaga deserves so much more recognition! With all of these obvious nutritional and health benefits, I think it should be included in everyone’s diet to some extent. Also, if you’re ever looking for a substitute for potatoes, rutabagas are it! They cook practically identically to potatoes, and their texture is extremely similar. They are a bit sweeter in taste than potatoes, but I haven’t found a single recipe that they don’t taste delicious in!
Alright, let’s get to it!
SLOW COOKER ITALIAN CHICKEN AND RUTABAGA
- 1.25 lbs. boneless and skinless chicken breast
- 3 medium sized rutabaga, peeled and chopped into 1 inch-pieces
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning blend
- 1 tsp. garlic granules
- sea salt and pepper to taste
1.) Place the chicken breast and prepared rutabaga in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with the olive oil, and sprinkle with the Italian seasoning and garlic granules. Stir and toss to coat completely. Transfer to the bed of a slow cooker.
2.) Cook on low for 4-6 hours until the chicken is cooked through and the rutabaga is fork tender. Transfer to plates and season with sea salt and pepper.
Told you it was ridiculously easy! Enjoy! 🙂