When dinner time came yesterday, I was hangry and lazy. I wanted to throw something together that was filling, but was also really easy and didn’t take a lot of work on my part. This cabbage and lentil salad was just the thing! Super filling due to the fiber and the protein from the lentils…Super delicious due to the different flavors in there…and as always SUPER DUPER healthy due all the fantastic ingredients. I mean, duh, the two main ingredients are cabbage and lentils, both of which are crammed full of health benefits!
Health Benefits of Cabbage
- Helps detoxify the stomach and colon
- Stimulates the immune system
- Cleanses the blood
- Strengthens the eyes
- Anti-fungal, antibacterial, and antiviral properties
- Rich in iron and sulphur
- Good source of antioxidants
- May help to prevent certain types of cancer
Health Benefits of Lentils
- Aid in muscle generation
- Reduces the risk of cancer
- Good source of vitamins and minerals
- Beneficial in preventing cell and gene damage
- Relaxes cardiovascular muscles and lowers blood pressure
- Aids in digestion
- Good for optimal brain function
- May help to control diabetes
Look at all that awesome nutrition in this meal. Not only will you be fully sated after this meal, you will also feel amazing because of how healthy this meal is!
COLORFUL CABBAGE AND LENTIL COOKED SALAD
Ingredients (serves 2-3):
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1/4 head of green cabbage, chopped into thin slices
- 1/4 head of red cabbage, chopped into thin slices
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 cup broth (any kind will do) or 1/2 cup water
- sea salt and pepper for seasoning
- shredded cheese for topping (I used a hard goat cheese), optional
1.) Prepare the lentils as described on the package. Set aside.
2.) Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until it starts to sweat (about 3-5 minutes).
3.) Add the carrots, red cabbage, green cabbage, paprika, oregano, and broth (or water). Cook until the cabbage is soft (about 10-15 minutes).
4.) Add the lentils to the pan and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
5.) Transfer to plates, season with salt and pepper, and top with shredded cheese, if desired.
See? Super easy, super healthy, super filling, and SUPER DELICIOUS! Enjoy! 🙂