Aren’t carrots the best! I love how they can lend themselves to both sweet and savory dishes. Any vegetable that can serve as a fruit in this way is awesome in my book! Not only that, but check out all of the health benefits, vitamins, and minerals carrots provide!
- Good source of vitamins A, K, B6, and Folate
- Good source of minerals manganese, potassium, copper, and iron
- High in fiber facilitating digestion
- Reduces blood pressure
- Helps regulate blood sugar levels
- Prevents certain types of cancers
- Lowers the risk of macular degeneration and improves eyesight
- Reduces the risk of stroke
- Boosts the immune system
- Prevents heart disease
The news just keeps getting better, because I’m going to share a super yummy, and SUPER simple, healthy recipe for preparing oatmeal in such a way that it tastes a lot like a delicious carrot cake, but with only healthy ingredients!
I used a full cup of shredded carrots in this recipe (for one serving), giving it an extremely carroty taste. If you want that to be brought down a bit, feel free to use just 1/4 – 1/2 cup of shredded carrots.
Another nice thing about this recipe is that it’s really simple to make! It’s basically the same process as just making regular oatmeal, so you can get a nice healthy and tasty twist on regular oatmeal without any extra effort!
SIMPLE AND HEALTHY CARROT CAKE OATMEAL
Ingredients (makes one serving):
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned gluten free oats
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 tsp. alcohol free vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1-2 tsp. raw honey or a pinch of stevia
- chopped pecans for topping (optional)
1.) Add the carrots, almond milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and honey (or stevia) to a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Add the oats and cook for 5-10 minutes depending on soft you like your oats.
2.) Transfer to a bowl, top with pecans (if desired), and serve.
Delicious! Enjoy! 🙂