I love me a good bowl of cooked veggies, and this veggie power bowl does not disappoint! Packed with cauliflower, brussels sprouts, and avocado, it is crammed with nutrition and health benefits!
Health Benefits of Cauliflower
- Heart healthy
- Good for brain health
- Aids in detoxification
- Contains anti-cancer properties
- Full of antioxidants and phytonutrients
- Great for digestive health
Health Benefits of Brussels Sprouts
- High in antioxidants
- Contains antibacterial and antiviral properties
- Good for healthy bones
- Strongly anti-inflammatory
- High in vitamin C and a good source of fiber
- Helps maintain a healthy heart
- Good for protecting the eyes from various disease
Health Benefits of Avocado
- Excellent for blood sugar regulation
- Great for eye health
- Excellent source of healthy fats
- Heart healthy
- Boosts the immune system
- Contains good levels of fiber
Look at all of that! Add a poached egg or a bit of baked chicken, and you’ve got yourself a complete meal that is delicious and nutritious!
The recipe I’m about to share only contains the veggies, so you can eat it as is, or you can add a protein of your choice. As I just mentioned, I think a poached egg or a chopped up baked chicken breast would go fantastic with this!
VEGGIE POWER BOWL
Ingredients (makes 2-3 servings):
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 lb. brussels sprouts, quartered
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bag of frozen or fresh cauliflower rice, or you can make your own by throwing some cauliflower in your food processor
- 1/2 avocado, cut into small bite-size pieces
- 1/4 tsp. garlic granules
- 1-2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 1-2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Protein of your choice (optional)
- sea salt and pepper for seasoning
1.) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the brussels sprouts on the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with the garlic granules. Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.
2.) While the brussels sprouts are baking, melt the coconut oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions, shallots, and garlic, and cook for about 3-5 minutes, until they are sweating and starting to get tender. Add the cauliflower rice, and cook for 7-10 minutes until cooked through.
3. Transfer the cauliflower rice mixture and the brussels sprouts to a bowl. Add in the avocado, basil leaves, and lemon juice. Stir to combine, then season with sea salt and pepper to taste. If you’re adding a protein, do it now. Transfer to bowls to serve.
YUM! Enjoy! 🙂