I’m SUPER excited to share this almond butter chicken recipe with you guys! I’ve made this a few different times when we’ve had guests over for dinner, and it’s always been a hit! Best part is that it is packed with nutrition!
Not only is this meal loaded with a plethora of veggies, but the sauce contains almond butter, which means it contains almond, which means it contains all the health benefits of almonds!
Health Benefits of Almonds
- High in antioxidants and unsaturated fats making them great for heart health.
- Rich in the amino acid arginine, which helps to prevent and fight infections and promote wound healing.
- Excellent for skin health and may help prevent skin cancers.
- Due to the high fiber content and other important antioxidants in almonds, they have prebiotic properties, meaning that they feed the good bacteria in the gut.
- Almonds contain L-carnitine and riboflavin, both of which are key nutrients for healthy brain function.
- The high magnesium content of almonds helps to reduce blood pressure and calm nerves and muscles.
- Contain powerful anti-inflammatory fatty acids that help to reduce inflammation in the body.
Another bonus is that it is a slow cooker recipe, so it’s REALLY easy to make! I always pair it with some wild rice cooked in coconut aminos and olive oil. It goes perfectly with this dish, and provides a healthy kick of carbs without any gluten!
SLOW COOKER ALMOND BUTTER CHICKEN WITH WILD RICE
Ingredients: (makes 4 – 6 servings)
- 1.5 lbs. boneless and skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 cups snap peas, ends trimmed
- 1 1/2 cups sugar peas, ends trimmed
- 1 1/2 cups green beans
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
For the Sauce:
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch chunk of ginger, grated
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 3/4 cup almond butter (you can use chunky or smooth)
- 1 1/4 cups full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 1/4 tsp. garlic granules
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. cumin (to taste)
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 Tbsp. arrowroot powder
For the Wild Rice:
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos
1.) In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the sauce, except the arrowroot powder. Stir until smooth and completely combined. Set aside 1/4 cup of the sauce.
2.) Brush the bottom of the slow cooker with olive oil. Add the chicken, followed by the veggies, and then pour the sauce (minus the 1/4 cup that you set aside) over the top. Cook on low for 4 – 6 hours.
3.) When there is 30 to 60 minutes left of cooking time, mix the arrowroot powder with the 1/4 cup sauce that you set aside, make sure that it is combined completely, and there are no chunks of arrowroot. Add to the slow cooker, and stir up the chicken and veggies. Cook for the remaining time.
4.) While the chicken and veggies are cooking for the remaining time, prepare your rice. Place all of the ingredients for the rice in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover, and let cook for 30 – 40 minutes, depending on how tender or firm you like your rice. Once it is done, and all of the liquid is absorbed in the rice, prepare your plates with the almond butter chicken sided with the wild rice. Season with sea salt and pepper, if desired.
Yes! It tastes as good as it looks! Delicious! Enjoy! 🙂