Oh my goodness, this chicken and broccoli dish is SO yummy! This is one of my hubby’s favorites that I make! With broccoli and chicken being its main ingredients, it’s super healthy for you, and it’s really easy to make even though it tastes like you slaved away for hours making it (don’t worry, it will be our little secret!).
The sauce for this dish is made from ginger, garlic, arrowroot, and coconut aminos. Coconut aminos tastes exactly like soy sauce, but it is somewhat better for you, especially if you have sensitivities.
Health Benefits of Coconut Aminos vs. Soy Sauce
- Coconut aminos are soy-free, so if you have a soy sensitivity, this is an excellent alternative.
- Coconut aminos are non-GMO certified, whereas some soy sauces contain GMOs.
- Soy is subject to cross-contamination of gluten. There is no possibility of this with coconut aminos, so if you’re gluten free, this should be your go to replacement for soy sauce.
- Coconut aminos have approximately 73% less sodium than soy sauce.
- Soy sauce contains phytoestrogens which can lead to estrogen dominance in women causing various diseases. Coconut aminos contains no phytoestrogens, so it is safe for women, men, and children.
- Soy is high in goitrogens, which are thyroid inhibitors that inhibit the thyroid from utilizing iodine properly. Coconut aminos are free of goitrogens.
Of course, if you buy 100% organic, non-GMO soy sauce, you avoid a lot of the bads that can be in soy sauce, but with coconut aminos, you don’t have to worry about it at all. Not only that, but coconut aminos seriously taste amazing!
Okay, now that we’re up to speed about coconut aminos, let’s get to this recipe!
CHICKEN AND BROCCOLI
Ingredients (make 4-6 servings)
- 1 cup coconut aminos
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tsp. sardine juice (water from a sardine tin)
- 1 Tbsp. arrowroot powder
Chicken and Broccoli
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 3/4 red onion, chopped
- 1.5 lbs. boneless and skinless chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 5-6 cups of broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 green onions, sliced (dark green parts discarded)
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
1.) In a small bowl, mix together the coconut aminos, garlic cloves, ginger, and sardine juice. Set aside while you cook the chicken and broccoli.
2.) In a large frying pan, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the onion, and sauté until soft. Add in the chicken and cook until the chicken is completely cooked through and a bit browned. Transfer the onion and chicken mixture to a bowl.
3.) Place the same pan you just emptied the chicken and onion out of back over medium heat, and add the broccoli and 1/4 cup of water to the pan. Cover and steam for 3-4 minutes, then remove the cover and let the water cook off. Transfer the broccoli to the same bowl the onion and chicken is in.
4.) Place the same pan back over medium-low heat. Add the prepared sauce to the pan and slowly heat the sauce. Very slowly, add in the arrowroot powder, and stir. The sauce will thicken up considerably.
5.) Add the broccoli, chicken, and onion mixture back to the pan, and stir to coat with the sauce.
6.) Transfer to bowls or plates. Season with sea salt and pepper, to taste. Top with the green onions and serve.
Get ready to have your mouth full of deliciousness, and your body full of nutrition! Enjoy! 🙂