This salad is so so yummy, you guys! The main ingredients are in the title, so as you can see, it’s super duper healthy!
I love lentils – they make the perfect compliment to so many dishes, and they are loaded with health benefits, some of which are as follows:
- Helps control diabetes
- Sprouted lentils aid in muscle generation in the body
- May help reduce the risk of cancer
- Beneficial in preventing cell and gene damage
- Helps to relax cardiovascular muscles and lower blood pressure
- Aids in digestion
- Helps with optimal brain function
All those health benefits, and that’s only from one ingredient in this salad! The veggies in this dish add about a gazillion more health benefits, and the only other ingredients are garlic, olive oil, plain yogurt, apple cider vinegar, and a couple of spices! So, um, yeah, nutrition overload, right?
BRUSSELS, CARROT, LEEK & LENTIL SALAD
Ingredients: makes 1 large salad or 2-3 side dishes
- 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil, plus 1/2 tsp. for dressing
- 1/2 pound brussels sprouts, finely chopped or shredded
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 leek, chopped into long strips
- 1/4 cup dry lentils
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp. basil
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. Hawaiian Jade Bamboo sea salt
1.) Heat 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil over medium heat. Add the brussels, carrots, dried basil, and leeks. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the vegetables begin to sweat. Add the garlic clove and cook for 1 more minute.
2.) Rinse and sort the lentils, then place them and the water in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil.
3.) Add the vegetables to the boiling lentils and water. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 25-30 minutes until the lentils are tender, and the water has cooked off. (It’s okay if there’s a little water still, just drain it off before transferring to a plate or bowl.)
4.) While the lentils and veggies are cooking, make your dressing/sauce by adding the yogurt, 1/2 tsp. olive oil, sea salt, and apple cider vinegar to a small bowl. Stir to combine completely, then place in the refrigerator until the lentils and veggies are done cooking.
5.) When the lentils and veggies are done cooking, use a slotted spoon to transfer them to a bowl or plate. Top with the yogurt sauce, and stir in to combine.
Yum, YuM, YUM! Enjoy! 🙂