Another slow cooker recipe – YAY! I am such a HUGE fan of basil. I seriously think I could eat it by the handful, and this stew is filled with delicious basil flavor! Fresh basil is not only delicious, it also has some great health benefits. Some of those include the following:
- High in vitamin K – just 1/2 cup of fresh basil provides 98% of the recommended daily intake of vitamin K
- DNA protection – flavonoids found in basil provide protection at the cellular level. Orientin and vicenen are two water-soluble flavonoids that are components of basil, and in studies on human white blood cells, they protect cell structures as well as chromosomes from radiation and oxygen-based damage.
- Antibacterial properties – basil has been shown to provide protection against unwanted bacterial growth. This is due to it’s volatile oils.
- Anti-inflammatory effects – The enzyme-inhibiting effect of the eugenol in basil qualifies basil as an anti-inflammatory food that can provide important healing benefits along with symptomatic relief for individuals with inflammatory health problems like rheumatoid arthritis or inflammatory bowel conditions.
- Great for cardiovascular health – Basil is also a good source of magnesium, which promotes cardiovascular health by prompting muscles and blood vessels to relax, thus improving blood flow and lessening the risk of irregular heart rhythms or a spasming of the heart muscle or a blood vessel.
- Basil is also a good source of magnesium – This mineral promotes cardiovascular health by prompting muscles and blood vessels to relax, thus improving blood flow and lessening the risk of irregular heart rhythms or a spasming of the heart muscle or a blood vessel.
I love that I can feel so good about loading my food with my favorite fresh herb! With this stew being packed with so much basil, it’s definitely one of my favorites!
TOMATO BASIL CHICKEN STEW
- 1/2 large red onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 large celery stalks, chopped
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 14 oz. can cannelini beans (make sure the can is bpa free!)
- 1.5 cups water you cook your chicken in
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
1.) Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add your chicken and boil for 40-50 minutes. While chicken is cooking, chop all your vegetables. When chicken is done, remove the chicken from the water and set the water aside (you will add 1.5 cups of the water to the slow cooker in step 2). Shred the chicken into bite size pieces.
2.) Add all the ingredients except the spinach to your slow cooker. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
3.) When done, add the spinach and let wilt completely.
4.) Ladel into bowls, let cool a bit and serve.
Basil-y goodness!!! Enjoy! 🙂