This stir fry is absolutely packed with a rainbow of veggies! There’s red cabbage, orange carrots, green broccolini, yellow onions, red onions, yellow ginger, white garlic, and green spinach! Phew! A beautiful array of nutrition in an absolutely delicious complete meal!
Though I love all of the ingredients in this dish, if I have to highlight one of them, it would have to be the red cabbage due to it being the most prevalent veggie in there! Red cabbage is FULL of nutrition! Some of its health benefits are as follows:
- It plays an important role in preventing cancer thanks to its high antioxidant content. Antioxidants help to neutralize free radicals that are responsible for a plethora of diseases including various cancers.
- Red cabbage is great for preventing signs of aging. The antioxidant content and vitamin A in red cabbage work together to make skin more elastic and reduce fine lines and wrinkle as well as age spots. Furthermore, they help with skin cell regrowth and preventing sun damage.
- The amino acid glutamine that red cabbage contains is great for reducing the inflammation and relieving the pain associated with gastrointestinal ulcers.
- The high vitamin C content in red cabbage boosts the immune system and stimulates white blood cell activity. Vitamin C also aids in the production of collagen helping to keep cells connected and solid.
- The anthocyanins that red cabbage contains may help to lower the risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease and dementia as we grow older.
- Red cabbage is packed with specific minerals that help to increase bone density. This is great for bone health and preventing bone related issues such as osteoporosis and arthritis.
- Red cabbage is a pretty decent source of vitamin B6. Vitamin B6 helps to regulate homocysteine levels in the body. In turn, the risk for various cardiovascular diseases is lowered.
- Another benefit of the B6 in red cabbage is that it facilitates neurological health and reduces the risk of developing neurological disorders such as seizures and epilepsy.
And that’s just one of the veggies in this stir fry! All the other gobs of veggies provide even more healthful benefits. To top off all that goodness, this stuff tastes SO good! Nutrition at its finest!
RED CABBAGE AND CARROT CHICKEN STIR FRY
Ingredients (makes 2 servings):
- 1.5 Tbsp. olive oil
- 8 oz. boneless and skinless chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/3 red onion, chopped
- 1/3 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 bunch of broccolini, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small chunk of ginger, minced
- 1/3 large head of red cabbage, chopped or thinly sliced
- 1-2 cups spinach, chopped
- 1 tsp. garlic granules
- sea salt, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the chicken, and cook for 3 minutes. Flip the pieces of chicken and cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until they are cooked all the way through. Set aside on a plate.
2. Put the frying pan back over medium heat. Add the red onion, yellow onion, carrots, broccolini, garlic, and ginger to the pan, and cook for 3-5 minutes until the onions start to sweat. Add the red cabbage and the garlic granules, and cook for about 10 minutes until the cabbage is somewhat tender. Add the spinach, and put the chicken you set aside back in the pan. Cook for another 3 minutes until the spinach is completely wilted.
3. Transfer to plates and season with sea salt to taste.
Delicious and nutritious! Enjoy! 😄