Guacamole is one of my absolute favorite foods. I love how versatile it is as it can be used as a dip, a dressing, a filling, etc. Yum! This recipe is my tried and true favorite. It’s incredibly simple, but I haven’t found a recipe that I like better! Guacamole is incredibly good for you, mainly because it’s main ingredient is avocado, which has gobs of health benefits!
Health Benefits of Avocadoes
- High in essential vitamins and minerals, including fiber, vitamins K, B5 (pantothenic acid), B6 and C, folate, and potassium.
- Low sodium and low fructose
- Useful in balancing ones potassium to sodium ratio due to the high content of potassium and low sodium content.
- One of the few fruits that provide healthy monounsaturated fats.
- Helps to maintain healthy cholesterol levels and lowers risk for heart disease.
- Helps the body to better absorb fat soluble nutrients, such as alpha and beta carotene and lutein.
Also, just some fun facts about this delicious good-for-you fruit:
- If you’re trying to quicken the ripening process of an avocado, place them next to apples or bananas.
- Avocadoes used to be reserved strictly for royalty and were considered a luxury.
- Avocadoes rank among the lowest of all fruits and veggies for pesticide use, and their thick skin keeps the inner fruit from being exposed to any pesticides if they are used. If treatment is necessary, chemicals used to keep avocados pest free are of the gentlest and least toxic used. Hence, they are better not only for our bodies, but also the environment.
- To determine if an avocado is ripe, look under the dry spot on the stem end. If it is green, the avocado is the exact amount of ripeness to enjoy. If it is brown, it is overly ripe.
Now that we’ve gotten our “avocado education” out of the way for the day 😁, let’s get back to this guacamole! This recipe has only four ingredients…well, five if you count sea salt to taste, but realistically, it’s just four! It’s super easy, and the result is a creamy delicious guacamole that goes with just about everything!
Ingredients: I am putting down a wide range of amounts of ingredients to use, because it is up to you how much to use of each ingredient.
- 1 avocado
- 1-2 Tbsp. chopped red onion
- 1/2-1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1-3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- sea salt to taste
1.) Peel and seed the avocado. In a small bowl, mash the avocado with a fork.
2.) Add the onion, olive oil and lemon juice. Stir to mix.
3.) Serve with veggies, pitas, etc.