Guys! I recently realized that I haven’t made anything containing quinoa in it in quite a while! How could I have neglected this power packed superfood??? I mean, seriously, this stuff is so good for you…it’s gluten free…it’s packed with nutrition…and it lends itself in so many ways to both savory and sweet dishes! Some of the health benefits of quinoa are as follows:
- It is high in protein as it contains 12-18% protein. This makes it much higher in protein than other grains, such as wheat, barley, and brown rice. Furthermore, it contains all 20 amino acids making it a complete protein.
- It is naturally gluten free, so if you have a gluten sensitivity, this is a perfect grain to incorporate in your diet.
- It is high in magnesium, which is a cofactor for over 300 enzymes.
- It is high in fiber, making it useful in preventing blood sugar spikes after eating, lowering cholesterol, and facilitating digestive health.
- It is high in vitamin B2 (riboflavin), which is important for building glycogen from glucose. It is also important for maintenance of mucus membranes, such as those that line the respiratory tract.
- It is also high in other important vitamins and minerals, such as calcium, phosphorous, pottasium, copper, zinc, manganese, selenium, vitamins A and E, and several of the B vitamins.
I remedied the fact that I hadn’t made anything with quinoa in a while quickly with breakfast this morning by making this super easy, and super nutritious, tasty apple cinnamon raisin breakfast quinoa! Er-mer-gerd, this stuff is amazing. It felt like it was just pure apple cinnamony goodness melting in my mouth! Seriously, so yummy!
Because of the add-ins, this makes for a great complete breakfast with plenty of protein, healthy fats, carbs, and of course, NUTRITION!!! I also love this breakfast, because it kept me feeling satisfied right up until lunchtime, which is sometimes a feat in my case just because I love food so much! Plus, the cinnamon gave me a little pep in my step to start my day! I love this stuff! It also makes a great substitute for oatmeal, so if you have sensitivities to oats, then this stuff is perfect for you. However, even if you don’t have a sensitivity to oats, you will LOVE this stuff!
APPLE CINNAMON RAISIN BREAKFAST QUINOA
Ingredients (1 serving)
- 1 apple, cored and peeled (I used honey crisp, but you can use any kind)
- 1/4 dry quinoa
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. chopped walnuts
- 2 Tbsp. raisins
- 1-2 tsp. raw honey
1.) Place the prepared apple, quinoa, and water in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and let simmer for about 20 minutes, until the quinoa has absorbed the water, and the apples are tender.
2.) Remove from heat, and add the cinnamon, raisins, and walnuts to the pan.
3.) Stir to combine, and transfer to a bowl. Drizzle with the honey and serve.
Dig in! You know you want to! Enjoy! 🙂