It’s that time of year in the Midwest when the weather is acting like it’s drunk and can’t make up its mind from one day to the next. One day it’s sunny and 75 degrees, the next it’s 30 degrees and snowing! Well, today it’s the latter, so I decided to make some comfort food to ease my woes and my longing for warmer weather! I landed on my slow cooker applesauce chicken with sweet potatoes!
This is a really simple slow cooker meal, but it is SO yummy and hearty! It makes for an amazing meal and some comfort food that you can feel good about putting in your body! On top of it’s awesome flavor, it is extremely good for you! Some of the health benefits of this dish due to its ingredients are as follows:
- The apple cider vinegar in there can help fight acid reflux, relieve constipation, fight candida, promote good gut bacteria, aid in detoxing the body, regulate pH, and lower blood pressure.
- The apple sauce in this dish not only provides a delicious flavor (especially if you’re into dishes that are both sweet AND savory like myself), but it also helps maintain heart health, reactivates good gut bacteria, helps reduce toxin loads in the body, reduces cholesterol, and may help to prevent various types of cancer.
- Those sweet potatoes are packed full of Beta-carotene, which is an important antioxidant that is a precursor to Vitamin A. They are also a rich source of fiber, vitamins C, E, and B6, manganese, potassium, and magnesium. These nutrients make them great for heart health, immune system health, eye health, and digestive health.
Awesome, huh? I always get so happy when I come up with a recipe that feels like I’m eating a hearty comfort food meal that is actually good for me! Believe me, you will love this dinner. Plus, who doesn’t love a slow cooker meal? Pretty much just dump and go – so simple!
SLOW COOKER APPLESAUCE CHICKEN WITH SWEET POTATOES
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 small sweet potatoes, washed, peeled, and cubed
- 1/2 large red onion, chopped
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar (the kind with the “mother” in it – I use Braggs)
- Sea Salt to taste
1.) Layer the sweet potato and the chicken in the slow cooker
2.) In a small bowl, combine the applesauce, garlic powder, onion, and apple cider vinegar. Poor over the chicken and sweet potatoes in the slow cooker.
3.) Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
4.) Spoon out individual chicken breasts to serve and top with the sweet potatoes. Season with sea salt.
Delicious! Enjoy! 🙂