Red cabbage is such an amazing vegetable! All those health benefits, and such a lovely color! This wonderful cruciferous veggie has all of the following benefits:
- Helps relieve symptoms of ulcers in the gastrointestinal system
- Protects against Alzheimer’s and cognitive decline
- Prevents macular degeneration and cataracts
- Boosts the immune system
- Reduces the risk of lung cancer and breast cancer
- Helps reduce the signs of aging, such as brown spots and wrinkles
- Promotes good health of the skin and protects against sun damage
- Helps prevent osteoporosis, arthritis, and other inflammatory diseases
Don’t you agree that red cabbage has the most beautiful color to it? I love cooking with this stuff, because it can really add some color to a plate! So, for lunch today, I grabbed a big ol’ head of red cabbage out of the fridge, and got creative!
I wanted to make something quick and easy and healthy. If you follow this blog at all, you know that I love roasted veggies of most any kind, so I figured, hey, why not give it a shot with red cabbage?! Turns out that red cabbage roasts beautifully, and the result tastes AMAZING! The out side gets a bit crispy, and the inside is tender enough so that you don’t feel like you you’re having to get in a workout just to chew this stuff. It kind of melts in your mouth and fills it with a delicious flavor that you just want to savor. Seriously, this may be one of my new favorites! Okay, is your mouth watering yet? Let’s get to this recipe!
ROASTED RED CABBAGE
Ingredients – Makes 2-4 servings
- 1/2 large head of red cabbage
- Extra Virgin Olive oil Spray
- Garlic Granules
- Sea Salt
- Parsley for garnish (optional)
1.) Preheat your oven to 380 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Wash your cabbage and peel off the outside leaves. Cut the cabbage into slices that are about 1/2 – 1 inch thick. Place the slices on the baking sheet and spray with olive oil. Sprinkle with garlic granules and sea salt, then flip the slices over and do the same thing on the other side (spray with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic granules and sea salt).
2.) Place in the oven and roast for 40 minutes.
3.) Transfer to a plate and garnish with parsley, if desired. The contrast between the green and purple make for a great display!
So pretty! Enjoy! 🙂