I’ve been cooking more with butter lately than I have in the past. Through some research, I’ve found that organic grass fed butter actually has quite a few health benefits. I still use my olive oil and coconut oil, but I “think” there are some benefits to using butter in moderation in some cases. Plus, um, it’s butter and it’s delicious! Some health benefits of butter are as follows:
- Helps to regulate hormones and thyroid function
- Combats fungal infections
- Helps to improve fertility in both men and women
- Prevents night blindness
- Boosts immunity
- Good for teeth and bones
- Prevents oxidative stress
- Improves nutrient absorption
- Rich in vitamins and minerals
As you can see, as long as it’s eaten in moderation, there’s definitely some benefit to including butter in your diet every so often. This recipe uses both butter and olive oil, and it comes together beautifully to create some brussels sprouts with a perfect garlicky and buttery taste to them. These make an awesome side dish to a nice roasted chicken breast, or some other protein, to create a healthy and complete meal!
BUTTERY GARLIC BRUSSELS SPROUTS
- 20-25 brussels sprouts, washed and cut in halves
- 2 Tbsp. organic grass fed butter
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed in a garlic press
- sea salt, to taste
1.) Melt the butter and olive oil over medium heat in a large frying pan. Add the garlic, and cook for 1-2 minutes until garlic begins to brown. Remove 1/2 of the garlic and throw it away. Add in the brussels sprouts flat side down.
2.) Cover the pan, and cook for 7-10 minutes (do not stir) until the brussels sprouts are tender.
3.) Transfer to a bowl or plate, and season with a bit of sea salt.
Yummers! Enjoy! 🙂