❤ HUMMUS ❤ Yeah, I love it. It’s so healthy, delicious and versatile! You can use it as a dip, a spread, or even a sauce. Thus, I am excited to share my favorite hummus recipe with you. It’s basic and simple, but it is DELICIOUS, and I use it in a lot of different ways!
Chickpeas are the main ingredient in most hummus recipes. Because of this, hummus has some great health benefits that those chickpeas provide. Some of those include the following:
- Manganese for energy production
- protein for vegetarians
- rich in dietary fiber making it great for weight loss
- great source of iron
- heart healthy
- stabilizes blood sugar
- lowers the risk of breast cancer in women
- aids in relief from hot flashes in post menopausal women
The other ingredients in this recipe (raw garlic, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice) provide additional health benefits such as
- cancer prevention
- lowers cholesterol
- reduces the risk of stroke
- immune boosting
- lowers blood pressure
- protects from oxidative damage
- helps cognitive function
- prevents anemia
- aids in liver detoxification
In a nutshell, hummus is a combination of power foods that is fantastic for your health and tastes a little bit like heaven. YUM!
SIMPLE HEALTHY HUMMUS
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil plus some for serving
- 1 small garlic clove minced
- 3/4 tsp. sea salt (can adjust this to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 can chick peas (15 oz.) – make sure the can is bpa free
- Ground paprika for serving
1.) Add the lemon juice and the tahini to a food processor and process for about 1 minute.
2.) Scrape the sides and add the olive oil, minced garlic, sea salt and cumin. Process for about 1 minute.
3.) Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
4.) Add 1/2 of the chickpeas to the food processor and process for about 1 minute.
5.) Scrape down the sides of the processor and add the rest of the chickpeas. Process till smooth. If you desire a thinner consistency, add 1-2 Tbsp. water.
6.) Transfer to a bowl, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with paprika then serve.
Eat with veggies of your choice, pitas, on a sandwich, by the spoonful 😉, etc. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 1 week. Enjoy! 🙂