One of my favorite way to eat collard greens is by making a veggie wrap with them! Collard greens are an excellent food for your health. Some of their health benefits include the following:
- Rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants
- Good for cardiovascular health
- Supports the digestive system
- Contains calcium to benefit bone health
- Lowers certain cancer risks
- Beneficial for diabetics
* Lowers blood glucose (Type 1)
* Improves blood sugar, lipids, and insulin levels (Type 2)
- Good for healthy skin and hair
- The choline content aids in improving sleep and mood
- Helps fight depression
- Strongly anti-inflammatory
Sooooo good for you! These veggie wraps are an excellent way to incorporate collard greens into your diet. In this recipe, I blanch the greens before using them. This is optional, but it does make the greens easier for your body to digest, and I think it makes the taste a bit better. I also use my homemade hummus recipe (recipe here) as a spread for it. You can use store bought, but taking the little bit of extra time to make the homemade version is well worth it! It’s delicious, and you know it’s good for you!
COLLARD GREEN VEGGIE WRAPS
Ingredients: Makes 2 wraps
- 1 large collard green leaf
- 3 baby carrots, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cucumber, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 avocado, cut into strips
- homemade hummus (recipe here)
1.) Wash your collard green leaf, then cut the stem off the bottom so it is even with the bottom of the leaf. Then run a knife along the middle thick stem cutting the leaf into two equal parts.
2.) Now you will blanch your collard green leaf. If you’re choosing to use completely raw collard greens, skip this step. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Dip one of the halves of the leaf into the boiling water, then quickly run it under cold water. Repeat for the other half.
3.) Spread hummus on each of the leafs.
4.) Divide the filling veggies in two, and place them on one end of the leaf.
5.) Roll the leaf over the filling veggies to form a wrap.
6.) Secure with a toothpick and serve.
Delicious! Enjoy! 🙂