After looking up various recipes for pineapple chicken, I decided to take all the ingredients common to most of them, and “flip” the recipe so that it is super healthy, but still contains tons of flavor…and that flavor is delicious! I also made it a slow cooker recipe for ease and simplicity. You can thank me later.
I paired this with some quinoa and a “Hawaiian” salad with a spicy pineapple dressing. You can follow that link for the recipe for the salad if you would like – it is spectacular and goes great with this dish or on its own.
This dish with that salad makes for a perfect meal – my husband and I both enjoyed it very much! But today, let’s just concentrate on this chicken – SO yummy, healthy and easy!
HEALTHY SLOW COOKER PINEAPPLE CHICKEN
Ingredients (makes 3 servings)
- 3 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups of fresh pineapple cut into bite size cubes (if in a hurry, you can also use a 20 oz can pineapple chunks – just make sure the can is BPA free)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- pinch of stevia
- 2 tsp. coconut aminos (or you can use soy sauce)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
1.) Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the chicken breasts and brown on each side for 5 minutes each. Transfer the chicken breasts to the slow cooker.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the pineapple, apple cider vinegar, stevia, coconut aminos, garlic powder, cornstarch, and water.
3.) Pour the sauce over the chicken in the slow cooker.
4.) Cook on high for 4-6 hours (I did mine for 5 hours, and it was perfect)
5.) Serve over quinoa.