I’ve been making my own cleaning products for a long time now. When I run out of something, I can make more giving me an excuse to snap some pictures and blog about it! I recently ran out of glass cleaner so had to make some more – hence, this post on homemade glass cleaner.
Like I said, I started making my own cleaners quite a while ago, so that means, I’ve tried quite a few different concoctions. I am a proud neat freak, so whatever I use, it has to work really well, and when it comes to glass cleaner, streaks are unacceptable! Some different things I’ve tried are as follows:
- Vinegar and water: The white vinegar in this is great for killing germs, but didn’t work so well as a glass cleaner as it left streaks and cloudiness, and if there were any spots on the glass, I really had to scrub to get them off.
- Rubbing alcohol: This was a little better in terms of getting rid of spots, but again, the glass didn’t look completely clean when I used rubbing alcohol alone. It still had a bit of cloudiness to it.
- Water, Vinegar, and Lemon juice: Just no. This one didn’t work well at all for glass, and it even left a little bit of a sticky residue behind that I had to use another cleaner to get rid of.
- Hydrogen peroxide: This works okay in a bind. But I did notice some cloudiness left behind. If this is all you have on hand, it will do, but you can do much better.
- Water, Vinegar, and rubbing alcohol: This worked pretty well, and is great if you only have these three ingredients on hand.
- THE WINNER: After trying MANY different mixtures, the one I found to work the best is the ingredients from #5 with some cornstarch added in! Isn’t that so weird? I read that cornstarch is a good ingredient in window cleaner, and was incredibly skeptical at first, but once I added this magical ingredient to my recipe, my glass has never looked better – and that includes when I used to use the bad chemical laden cleaners! Seriously, you have to try this recipe for glass cleaner – I was mesmerized with the result! It also works great as an oven surface cleaner – it will make your oven sparkly clean!
Before I go into the recipe, a quick note about the smell of this cleaner. I’m not a fan of the smell of vinegar. I use it in so many different cleaning concoctions, and I normally add essential oils not only for their cleaning ability, but also to cover up the smell of vinegar. However, when it comes to the glass cleaner, I have to advise not to use any essential oils as it can cause streaks and cloudiness. This particular recipe doesn’t smell too terribly. I think the rubbing alcohol and corn starch somehow even out the odor of the vinegar, especially since there is only a very small amount of vinegar in it. If there is a little bit of a smell to it, I promise it goes away shortly after you use it, so your house won’t smell like a pickle. 🙂
Alright, here we go!
HOMEMADE NON-TOXIC GLASS CLEANER
- 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 cups warm water
Okay this is the really hard part (insert sarcasm here). Just pour each of these ingredients into a spray bottle, label the spray bottle if desired, shake to mix well, and you’re ready to go!
It takes about 5 minutes to throw this together, and this will last you a while. The ingredients are cheap, cheap, cheap, and this is so worth a try – if you’re like me, you will be extremely surprised at how well this stuff works!!! Enjoy! 🙂
DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor, and any recipe for food, beauty products, cleaning products, or the like is not a means of diagnosis, treatment, prescription or cure for any disease or condition, mental or physical. One should always consult with a medical professional before making any major lifestyle changes.