I’m so excited to be sharing this recipe for these amazing gummies with you! These things are amazing for kids and adults alike, because
- If you’re a parent, and your kids like fruit snacks, but you don’t like the unrecognizable ingredients that a lot of fruit snacks contain, then these are your answer!
- These puppies contain gelatin, and hence they contain collagen!!! This makes these things almost like a supplement that is good for hair, skin, nails, joints, sleep quality, and gut health…just to name a few!
Okay, so first off, gelatin! Gelatin contains loads of collagen, and you know how bone broth is like one of the healthiest things you can put in your body? Well, collagen is the part of bone broth that gives it all of its health benefits! So, these snacks that are made up of gelatin have the same health benefits as bone broth, and they are much easier to make than bone broth. Thus, if you ever don’t have time to make bone broth, you can use these guys as a temporary substitute to get those collagen benefits! It’s important to use a gelatin that is from pasture-raised, grass-fed, and non-GMO! I use Vital Protiens, but there are a lot of good brands out there!
Okay, next up – PERFECT kid’s snack! Kids LOVE fruit snacks, but you know how the boxes of fruit snacks usually say things like “all-natural” and “contains real fruit”, but then you flip the box over, and the ingredients are full of forms of sugar and some questionable ingredients? Well, these guys taste just like fruit snacks, but all of the ingredients, and there’s only 4 of them, are great for you, and you are guaranteed that they do, in fact, contain real fruit, because you will be the one putting it in there!
Are you sold yet? If not, here’s a few more things:
- These contain blueberries, which means they have the health benefits of blueberries, such as loads of antioxidants, good for vision, good for heart health, and fights depression.
- These seriously only take about 10 minutes to throw together, and they set pretty quickly in the fridge in about 30-60 minutes.
- If the idea of “sour” fruit snacks turns you off, you can easily replace the lemon juice in this recipe with another juice, such as apple juice, blueberry juice, etc. You can even use water if you would like!
- Ummmm…most importantly, GAWSH, these are delicious!!!
Okay, to the recipe we go!
HEALTHY SOUR BLUEBERRY GUMMY SNACKS
- 2/3 cup frozen blueberries
- 2/3 cup lemon juice (or some other liquid, such as juice or water)
- 2-3 Tbsp. raw honey
- 5 Tbsp. gelatin
1.) Place the lemon juice and the frozen blueberries in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Heat, stirring occasionally, until the blueberries become soft and tender (about 3 minutes or so). Add the honey, and continue to heat until the blueberries have started to cook down or dissolve forming a compote (about 5 minutes or so).
2.) Remove from heat, and use a whisk to stir vigorously while slowly sprinkling in the gelatin. Do this slowly to avoid clumps. After all the gelatin has been added, continue to whisk vigorously for another minute.
3.) Pour the mixture into a blender, and blend until completely smooth.
4.) Pour the mixture into a pan that has an area anywhere from 40 square inches to 70 square inches. I used a bread pan, and it worked great.
5.) Chill in the fridge until completely set (about 30 – 60 minutes). Use a knife to cut into bite size pieces in any shape you want.
6.) Use a spatula to remove the gummies and transfer them to a plate or air-tight container.
These will keep in the fridge for up to a week, but you can also pack them in a lunch and they will hold fine out of the fridge until lunchtime.